Ever feel like you’re not working to your full potential? That your job is tedious and boring? You’re not alone. This article from http://www.under30ceo is all about changing that feeling. When we start to feel this way we categorize ourselves as being “stuck in a funk” and that only leads to unhappiness in and out of the workplace, as well as low morale and production. According to a Gallup study of employee satisfaction, of 230,000 full time and part time workers in 142 countries, only 13% of workers feel engaged by their jobs. That number is astounding, that means that 87% of people feel disconnected and unhappy at work. I don’t know about you, but I want to be in the 13% range and feel good about what I’m doing. So, how do we do it? Northeast Consulting Group, Inc cares about it’s people’s personal and professional development and making sure that they are finding satisfaction in their job roles within our company. This article really gave us something to think about in the areas where we can help our people feel even better about their work!
Tips to get you out of your rut:
1. Buy a plane ticket and go to a place you’ve never been before and spend time with people you haven’t met before
- What better way to give yourself a breath of fresh air than to change your scenery! Figure out a way to take a short vacation and go somewhere that you’ve always wanted to go and never felt like you had time to do it or that you could. The first step is to do something that will give you happiness, put yourself first!
2. Grab a cup of coffee or tea at your local shop and start a conversation with someone. You never know what opportunities it might lead to.
3. Go for a walk/run on the beach with no technology. Just you and the beach.
- With the evolution of cell phones and social media, it’s almost impossible to get some real you time. We all have our email, Facebook, twitter, Tumblr, etc. connected to us at all time in just one easy place, our phone. Leave technology behind and focus on you for a change!
4. Look for places where you can have a clear view of the sunrise/sunset and just sit there and meditate.
- Clear your mind, let go of things that are worrying you, and decide what direction you want your life to go and what steps you’re going to take to get there!
5. Reach out to someone you look up to and learn their personal story.
- What better way to re-motivate yourself than to hear about the struggles that someone you admire went through and how they overcame them. If they can do it, why not you?
6. Call up your friends and play a sport for fun!
- Exercise releases endorphin’s that make you happy and feel great. If you feel good, you’ll be happier, period.
7. Do some volunteer work.
- No matter how bad you feel like your situation is, someone out there has it worse, why not help them out?
8. Read a book.
- Fiction is easiest way to escape reality and dive into a different place. A good book allows you to forget everything and just focus on what’s right in front of you.
9. Have meaningful conversations.
- Human interaction is something that is becoming less and less common with the advancement of technology. Today’s culture makes it acceptable to have conversations via email or texting. That’s not personal! There’s something to be said for having a real conversation with a real person who is with you in person and not through your cell phone.
10. Start a blog!
- Share your thoughts and feelings with other people. You never know who will be reading.
11. Eat something you’ve never eaten before.
- Find new restaurants or food stores in your area and shake things up! What’s more fun than trying authentic foods from different places or learning new recipes to shake things up!
12. Have a karaoke night with your friends and sing the night away!
- News flash, you don’t have to be a good singer to get up there and have a blast. It is extremely liberating to just belt out your favorite tunes with your friends and not care who is watching or listening. Plus, if you’ve ever been to karaoke, no one is ever good! So, you have nothing to worry about!
13. Help a friend with a side-project.
- There’s so many benefits there. It gives you the opportunity to spend more time with your friend, learn some new skills, and meet some new people in the process!
In general your life, your career, and your situation is what it is. But, you can change how you feel about it by changing how you look at things. The biggest reason for feeling like you’re “in a funk” is because you’re telling yourself that you are. At the end of the day, remember, we only get one life and sometimes, it’s okay to take care of you first!
Northeast Consulting Group, Inc is a privately owned firm that specializes in direct marketing, brand building, public relations, and consulting in Fairfield County, Connecticut. We’re committed to giving our people a predictable career path that leads to an opportunity in management within our company. To learn more about Northeast Consulting Group, Inc and the opportunities for advancement that we have please visit our website: http://www.ncginc.biz