Northeast Consulting Group, Inc. is a privately owned firm that specializes in direct marketing, brand building, public relations, and consulting for Fairfield County, Connecticut. Northeast Consulting Group, Inc. is passionate about providing development to our employees outside of just the business world. Our company focuses on the development of the mind and helping our employees reach their full potential. Today, Northeast Consulting Group, Inc. is reviewing, “The Position Myth.” This meeting was created from John Maxwell’s book, 360 Degree Leader.
The Position Myth
The position myth is common in the workplace and in any team environment. People tend to be confined and only allow themselves to achieve things that are part of their “position” or “formal role” within a company or team environment. The position myth states, “I can’t lead if I’m not at the top.”
The Truth About Leadership:
- The truth is that 99% of leadership comes from the middle, not the top.
- “The true measure of leadership is influence, nothing more, nothing less.” – John C. Maxwell
Leadership comes from having a position or title:
- People who agree with this, buy into the myth.
- These people feel like “potential leaders.”
- They’re uncomfortable stepping up in the workplace or in a team environment because they don’t have a formal position that states them as a leader. (i.e. Team Captain, Team Leader, Manager, CEO)
Relationships don’t create leadership:
- People who agree with this don’t focus on building relationships with the other people in the work place or in a team environment.
- In the Long Term, people who buy into this misconception feel increased unhappiness and start looking for a new leader, team, or organization.
The truth is that Leadership is derived from influence. The easiest and most effective way to create influence is to build the right kind of relationships with the other people around you in the workplace or in a team environment.
The type of Leadership that someone can have is broken down into 5 Levels. Position, Permission, Production, People Development, and Person-hood.
The 5 Levels of Leadership:
- People follow you because they have to, your influence won’t extend from there. (i.e. Manager, Team Captain, CEO, etc.)
- You can only do the position you’re given and your influence will only extend to the boundaries of your job description.
So how do you get yourself out of the Position level?
- Start doing things to increase your influence outside of your stated position.
- Ask yourself these questions: Do I have to be at the top of the chart to create relationships with others/ Do I have to have the top title to help others and myself be more productive?
- Start changing your mindset. Understand that influence is disposition, not position. You get out what you put in.
- “Leadership is a choice, not a place you sit, you can make a difference no matter where you are.”
- People follow you because they want to.
- Your influence now extends beyond your stated authority.
- You’ve now started to build relationships with the people you desire to lead, you genuinely care about people, they trust you, and have now given you their permission to lead them.
- People who are highly motivated tend to become restless in this phase because they desire more, they want to advance and continue to extend their influence.
- People follow you because of what you have done.
- This is where long term success is sensed by most people.
- The people around you like you and what you’re doing, you’re able to help people fix problems with minimal effort because of the positive momentum you’ve created.
- If the people you lead succeed in getting the job done because of your contribution to the team, they will look to you more to lead the way.
- This is a win-win situation.
4. People Development
- People follow you because of what you have done for them.
- You have to understand how to move through the other four phases to get here.
- This shows that someone has a commitment to developing others, they understand that developing other people and teaching them ensures ongoing growth for the organization, team, and the people within it.
- The goal is to get here, and stay here.
- People reach this mark by genuinely caring about the people they lead. They mentor them, help them develop their skills, and sharpen their leadership ability.
- People follow you because of who you are and what you represent.
- It usually takes years of growing and developing people and an organization to reach this point.
- It’s difficult to get to this phase, but those who make it have a profound impact on the people around them.
- This is not a level that someone can strive to achieve because it is outside of your direct control. Only other people can put someone here because it is derived from a feeling.
- People who make it here have succeeded in leading and succeeding through the first four levels for a long period of time and they’ve earned the reputation of a level-five leader.
All in all, this myth hits home with what Northeast Consulting Group, Inc. strives to do within this company. We are looking to empower people to step out of their stated job roles and start creating influence and leadership on their own. This is what breeds a successful leader. This is what breeds a successful manager. This is what breeds a business partner. That is what we want for the representatives within our company.